Tag&Rename tag editor FAQ:
- Is it possible to add a graphics file to more then one file?
- Can Tag&Rename tag files (Artist, Album, Title) based on the file path? For example I have the following folders structure: <ARTIST>\<ALBUM>\<Track - Title>.
- Can I change the case of the music files extension (uppercase or lower case) while renaming files?
- In Windows Media Player 10 there is a tag called "Album Artist". This tag is very vital when you are using Windows XP Media Center 2005. You can set the tag in WMP10 but I cannot find it in Tag & Rename.
- Can I convert ID3v2 tags in my files to Unicode with Tag&Rename?
- Why I can not submit cd information to freedb in Tag&Rename?
- What is portable mode?
- I run Tag&Rename but none of the "Tools" program features are functioning (its all grayed). How to enable its?
- After I edit mp3 files tags with Tag&Rename some programs can't show this tag at all or show it incorrectly (Tag&Rename show tag data ok). What can I do?
- I try to use Tag&Rename with files which contain Unicode data in file names and tags. However, when I looked at these files, Tag&Rename only displays the pipe symbol, e.g. ||||| |||||| |||||.mp3. Any suggestions please.
- I change tags in my mp3/m4a files using Tag&Rename but it seems that iTunes don't support this changes - in iTunes I still see old information.
- Why is it that when I change the MP3 tags, they don't change in Windows Media Player?
- I renamed some songs in Tag&Rename but its change their name back after a few minutes of playing them through my media player. How I can keep the new names for these files?
- When I try to use discogs or freedb I get the following message: "Cannot resolve host, error 2". It happens even when I'm online. What can I do?
- Each time I tag an album my disk space is reduce by the size of the album as if it was copied or doubled or something. I want to erase those temp files how can I do it?
Yes. You need to select this files in Tag&Rename file list (according to "Use easy files selection" option settings) and press "Edit all supported tag fields" button in "Multi file tag editor" tab - in opened window you can change any tag frame (including cover) in this group of files.
Yes, you can do this, for your example (<ARTIST>\<ALBUM>\<Track – Title>) you need to use this file name mask: %1\%3\%6 %2
Yes, just add these extensions (.mp3 .ogg etc) to "Always keep case" table in "Program options" -> "File Rename Strings".
In Windows Media Player 10 there is a tag called "Album Artist". This tag is very vital when you are using Windows XP Media Center 2005. You can set the tag in WMP10 but I cannot find it in Tag & Rename.
You can find this tag field in Tag&Rename tag editor window "Additional" tab. Also see "Copy "Artist" data into "Album Artist" tag field while importing" option in "Program options" -> "Web Import" and "Auto copy "Artist" data into "Album Artist" tag field if it clears" in "Program options" -> "Tags".
Yes: see "Program options" -> "Tags" -> "Write Unicode data into ID3v2 tags" option. To convert existent tags to Unicode or to plain text you need to select this files in Tag&Rename file list and press "Save Tags" button in "Multi files tag editor" tab with all it check boxes unchecked - this will re save tags without changing its data according to "Write Unicode data into ID3v2 tags" option settings.
Since Tag&Rename load freedb information without an original cd it calculate freedb disc id from music files, calculated id is only near result which is enough for find album info but for submission you need to have original audio cd, so I suggest that you use software audio cd players or cd rippers for freedb submissions.
In portable mode Tag&Rename store all settings in it folder and don't use system registry. So you can run portable Tag&Rename from flash drive on different computers without installing it.
You need to select files (according to "Use easy files selection" option settings) in Tag&Rename file list on which you want to do some "Tools" operation at first - as soon as you do this all this functions will be enabled automatically.
Most likely these programs can't read Unicode tags, see Tag&Rename options -> "Tags" -> "Write Unicode data into ID3v2 tags" – uncheck this option. To re save tags without Unicode just select files in Tag&Rename file list and press "Save tags" button "Multi file tag editor" tab - this will rewrite tags and remove Unicode data from its. (See also "Notes about Unicode support" topic in program help).
I try to use Tag&Rename with files which contain Unicode data in file names and tags. However, when I looked at these files, Tag&Rename only displays the pipe symbol, e.g. ||||| |||||| |||||.mp3. Any suggestions please.
Font used in Tag&Rename interface don't have characters of this language, so go to "Program options" -> "General" -> "Interface font" and change it to font which support this language, it you have MS Office installed than change it to "Arial Unicode MS" - this font have support for most languages.
iTunes have its own database and look into file tag only when you add it to iTunes and when you play this file, so it will update tag changes while playing or you can do the following:
1. Select in iTunes all your files.
2. Right click on it's and select "Get Info" - this will open iTunes multi file tag editor.
3. Don't check any checkboxes or change anything - just press "Ok" button - iTunes will reread tags from selected files after this.
You need to update Media Player's "Media Library":
1. Go to Media Player main menu -> "Tools" -> "Search for media files...".
2. In search options select folder with your music files and "Never files and all existing files in library".
3. Press "Search" button.
Most likely you files were renamed by your media player.
For Windows Media Player than you need to do this: go to Media Player main menu -> "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Media Library" -> "Automatic media information updates for files" -> "Rename and rearrange music using media information" check box - uncheck it if it checked.
For iTunes: go to main menu -> "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" -> "Keep iTunes music folder organized" check box - uncheck it if it checked.
There may be two reasons:
1. If you are using firewall software be sure that it allow Tag&Rename to go to Internet.
2. If you are using a proxy server you may need to setup it in "Program options" -> "Web import" -> "Proxy server".
Most likely that this problem occurs because you have enabled Windows XP "System Restore" functions on drive with your mp3 files. When you add ID3v2 tag to mp3 file first time Tag&Rename need to rewrite all file data since ID3v2 tag placed in the beginning of the file. While doing this Tag&Rename write temporally file and overwrite original file with it, so if "System Restore" enabled Windows not delete this files – it just move it into "System Volume Information" folder. You can disable "System Restore" functions in "Control Panel" -> "System" -> "System Restore" tab.